New to me but makes perfect sense – ‘Hangry’, angry because you are hungry. I’m back in the kitchen as ‘Mum’ for the summer and want to make sure we are all well fed on time and not ‘hangry’. Although I must admit that my family seem to have taken a liking to eating nice looking food and that’s my fault. Have you ever looked at someone else’s plate and thought “your plate looks better than mine” The Food Envy, is the worst! So I need to make sure I have time to plate up nicely for all of us no matter what we are eating – You eat with your eyes first even when you are ‘hangry’.
Although the favourites for my boys never change, so keeping all the ingredients readily available for a quick cook when short on time….
- Salmon Tikka & Vegetables
- My homemade ‘Paneer Makhani’
- Salads with grilled meats or marinated prawns
- Moong on Mondays
- Quinoa and Seabass
It’s amazing how our appetites change according to where we are, what the weather is or who we’re with. For me Summer = fresh, vibrant, light, cold, grilled, bbq’d…..and it can be easy if you stock the essentials!!
Tips on feeding the ‘hangry’ this summer
One of my favourite quick cheats at the moment is the Cauliflower & Kale Couscous from Waitrose which I add various twists too and serve with fish or poultry. Microwave for 3mins and add in what you like. Who said cooking was hard….
- Keep staples stocked so you are able to rustle some thing up quickly – I often freeze my base sauces in batches as that is the most time consuming part of making a curry
- Pre-prepping- cut up carrots, peppers, garlic, ginger and keep in a sealed container can last up to a week.
- One pot meals ** See the feature image of the chicken and butterbean casserole
- Then you have BBQ’s or Grilled
- Don’t always throw away your leftovers, it’s amazing what you can rustle up sometimes in an emergency- omelettes, salads, toasted sandwiches & stuffed Pittas *my boys love chicken pakora from left over roast chicken
- Lots of Salads ingredients to fill the plate- Lettuce bags, cucumber, tomatoes, yoghurt,vegetables, salad onions…..
- Keep nuts, fruit, cereal bars to fill the gaps
- If you are really tired I heard that Nando’s are delivering to YOU very lucky people in select London areas i.e Wembley…. #HappyFamily